Monday, September 22, 2014

Fun Things From Our Backyard: Butterfly Garden!


maybe laying eggs?

It all started with something that caught my eye fluttering outside the window...

This Queen butterfly has been visiting us today and has been out there pretty much all day.  I *think* she may have even laid some eggs on our milkweed (YAY!), but I'm not certain about that.   Needless to say at least one, if not all of us (including Orbit) have been looking out that window all day long :)
We spent some time just watching it from both inside and outside and these are all the critters that we saw (I can't imagine how many more were there that we didn't see!)


We love our butterfly garden!! 


It's humble, maybe a little wild-looking, but it has given us lots and lots of opportunities to see fun and beautifully made critters outside our home.  I am super thankful LittleBear had the idea one day to plant one...

Texas Spiny Lizard...can you see him?  A whole family of them lives under a bush nearby...

honeybee!

Our Queen butterfly friend at her best...

 LittleBear watching the butterfly...

 LadyBear joined us...can you see it flying up near the top of the window?

 Ladybug enjoying some aphids...

 An Oak Hairstreak moth...my first time seeing one!

 Purple lantana!

Naptime for Orbit!

The little black dots, I think are butterfly eggs...we'll see.

Grasshopper...

 Ladybug on a pepper plant!

A rainbow skink who did NOT want his picture taken...sorry buddy.

I'm not sure what kind of moth this is, he was super fast!  I'm guessing a Hayhurst's Scallopwing...

Definitely a fun way to spend our morning :) Now, I need to go clean that window...yikes.

No comments: