Monday, April 6, 2009

Newest Project: BabyBear's room: Rug!

I know, I know...I can hear you thinking...another one?! Does she really need one more project? Well, we needed a soft rug for BabyBear's room and all the ones I was finding were easily $150-$300, which I would rather not pay for (yes, I'll admit...I'm frugal). A dear friend told me they got a carpet remnant bound for $60, so I went to the place she did and they quoted me $250 for a bound $67 remnant with tax...not quite what I was hoping for. I went to another carpet store and they had some remnants that easily could have carpeted most of our house, but they were also in the $150-$300 range. The lady at that second carpet store told me that what I really was looking for could be found at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore here in town and that she had just sent a bunch of remnants over to that store over the weekend.

I didn't know we really had a ReStore here, and they weren't open on Mondays, so I went to check it out the next Tuesday. I found a 9x11 carpet remnant that looked like it would work well for $47 including tax and 100% of the money goes to Habitat! I think it was also one of the ones that the lady from the other carpet store sent over. So I wrestled it home (not my brightest moment, I admit) and into the garage and discovered that it's actually a bit bigger than 9x11. It's a really light beige color plush carpet with darker brown threads throughout. Here's a before pic in our garage:

It was new, but needed to be cleaned (lots of dust). We trimmed it down to 8'x10' with a utility knife (cutting on the wrong side of the carpet works better- thanks mom!). Then we stapled the dark brown vinyl fabric strips pretty side down on to the top of the carpet as the edge. Note, buying the cheapest staple gun from Walmart with the smallest staples will not work...you need something a bit heftier. From there, we flipped the edges over and used a hot glue gun to glue the rest of the vinyl strip to the bottom of the rug. Then we vaccuumed it several times and got it into BabyBear's room. We accomplished all of this while listening to Baylor Baseball beat Kansas on the radio, yay!

Here's the finished product:


Special thanks to Jeff for cutting the rug, helping staple and helping me move it around many different times (and for supporting me/not thinking I'm completely crazy in doing this!). Special thanks also to Randy and his family for letting us borrow their heftier staple gun and staples after finding out ours was not quite adequate. We're still debating about whether or not it needs a carpet pad underneath, but we're excited to have one more thing done!

5 comments:

kimkitty81 said...

Yeah! It looks nice. Can't wait to see it IN the baby's room! :)

Jill said...

Wow, that looks great! And you have reminded me about Coatesville's own ReStore. I will have to check it out soon! I wonder what treasures lie within!

Jenn said...

You rock, B! I can't wait to see pics of the room when it is complete! :)

Carol said...

I love it, and your ingenuity. Maybe Restore will come up with a pad, too. Can't wait to see the finished room!

Diane said...

Beth,

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who can't stop taking on new projects!

You go girl! Great Job!

Diane- :]