Monday, April 18, 2011

Family Garden! Good News, Bad News...

Well, the bad news is that I lost seven plants this week, three bell peppers and four tomatoes. I still have four bell peppers growing in the garden and a few in my seed starter tray, but that means my tomatoes are done. It happened somewhere in the process of me moving them from inside to outside. I have learned for next season to start significantly more seeds than I think I'll need (I thought starting double would be enough, but apparently not) earlier than I think I'll need them, no matter what the seed starting calendar says. I am starting more from seed now, but I don't know that there will be time before it gets too hot for them. *SIGH* Oh well, this whole project is one big learning experience, right?

The good news is that everything else is growing nicely! The zucchini, carrots, onions and spiral broccoli are growing well and I have to trim the pea vines often to keep them from getting tangled up in one another. I got my seeds for the bush beans, the honeydew and the orange melon and have planted those as well, so hopefully those will grow like the others. I still haven't had any obvious pests or even that many weeds, which makes me happy and even more sold on the Square Foot Gardening method.

It's starting to get really warm here, so I'm doing my best to be diligent about watering on a regular basis. I think it's almost time to set the swaying sprinkler out and let it go for 30 minutes or so.

Here's the new diagrams for Box #1 and Box #2:
Box #1:
Box #2:

I know what you're thinking, NINE bush bean plants PER square (that IS of course what you were thinking wasn't it?)?! That's what Mel says and I saw online there were several gardeners who tried nine in each square one season and 6 in each square the next season and they got better yields from the nine in each square. Granted, there are a lot of factors that go into one's yields for a season, but I'm going to go with their experience and Mel's word on this one.

Here are some close ups, in case you are interested:

Zucchini:
Peas:
Spiral Broccoli:
Onions (white):
Baby Carrots:
Bell Pepper:

So that's where we are as of today. I'll be back with hopefully better quality pictures next week :)

No comments: