Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Brown Family Garden 2014

 Our garden today...

Garden season has started here at the Brown household!!  The seeds have been ordered, dirt has been bought and mixed, new boxes have been built and just today, we had our first two sprouts show up.  Fun and exciting times!

This is what I started with a few weeks ago:

This year, I built two new boxes to house LittleBear's peas.  He loves peas and we've never been able to plant enough in the past, so this year I've got three different varieties going:  our normal favorite the Tall Telephone garden pea and two new kinds to try, Sugar Ann Snap Peas and the Improved Maestro garden pea.  Hopefully this year, we'll get enough for more than just LittleBear to eat :)

LittleBear mixing dirt!

He was beyond excited when I told him it was almost time to plant the peas.  My little boy who hates getting dirty jumped into a big pile of dirt and helped me mix it all up, then fill my new boxes.  He has been reminding me that they need to be watered and even showed LadyBear the proper way to water his new pea plants.  With Texas weather being all over the place lately, I'm a little nervous about what kind of harvest we'll get, but we had to try!!  Anyway, we'll see what we get...who knows.


LittleBear watering the peas...


Here are the other seeds I anticipate planting this year:
Black Beauty Zucchini
Lemon Basil
Sweet Genovese Basil
Black Plum Tomato  (*new variety for us to try)
Chadwick Cherry Tomato (*new variety for us to try)
Emerald Giant Sweet Pepper
Orange Bell Sweet Pepper
Hearts of Gold Melon (Hoodoo)...very similar to a cantaloupe
Honeydew Tam Dew Melon
Ananas D'Amerique A Chair Verte Melon (*new variety, which was a freebie pack of seeds included in my order)

LittleBear carefully planting his seeds...

Also, any day now, four new additions will be arriving to the Brown Family Garden.  I am now the proud owner of a Fuji Apple Tree, a Red Delicious Apple Tree and a Jubilee Blueberry bush and a Sharpblue Blueberry bush.  The apple trees are dwarf trees, which will grow to 8' or so and will be grown in large pots, so I can move them around the yard, if necessary.  They will take about 2 years to produce fruit, but I'm looking forward to that!!

Our first sprouts!!!





No comments: