Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fun Things From Our Backyard: BabyBear Edition!

It's been a long time since I did a "Fun Things From Our Backyard" post, and it's not because of the lack of fun things. The day after we welcomed BabyBear into this world, my awesome neighbor offered to mow our yard and then called asked, "Did you know you have a family of ducks living in your backyard?" I didn't and after some discussion and much research (she's an entomologist and animal lover), she discovered they were Black Bellied Whistling ducks. I didn't get a good count, but it was a mom and maybe 12 ducklings who were just passing through on their way to the lake. Sadly, I didn't get any pictures because I was still recovering, but I did see/hear them and they were way cool. We heard more later on in the summer, but did not see them. But, I digress...

Today has been such a beautiful day that I thought I would take BabyBear outside for some playtime in the backyard. He LOVED it! Every time there was a breeze or wind blew by, he would laugh, smile and wave his arms and legs around...so cute. We heard and saw birds fly overhead and we watched the butterflies who love our white flowered bushes. Here's a video (sorry, it's a bit lengthy) of some of our play time:



Just in case you weren't aware, the Monarch butterflies are on their Fall migration to Mexico and happily decided to stop by (possibly after checking out the Texas State Fair in Dallas). I love that the people who lived in this house before us were so thoughtful as to plant to attract butterflies. They're so fun to watch and I especially love sharing it with BabyBear. Here are some pictures we took:




For fun, can you spot how many Monarchs are in this next picture? (scroll down for the answer)
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
Here is the answer (I circled them in orange, click on the picture to open it in a bigger size...it's four!):
To top it all off, here is some random butterfly information that you may not know. All in all, had a really fun time playing in the backyard. Here are some fun shots of BabyBear for all you fans out there:
spit bubbles are fun indoors or out!


So that is what's going on here! Hope all is well with you!!!